If you suffer from chronic neck pain, you may have days when your symptoms flare up, causing muscle spasms and increased pain. Along with the treatment regimen prescribed by your doctor, try the warm herbal neck wrap below to help relieve your discomfort.
What You Will Need
Before making your neck wrap, gather the ingredients and supplies below. The ingredients can be found in pharmacies, natural health stores and the health care section of some supermarkets.
- Large tub or pan
- Bath towel
- Six cups of water
- Four chamomile tea bags
- Two cups of Epsom salt
- Ten drops of lavender oil
The chamomile and Epsom salt included in this home remedy help soothe your aching muscles by reducing the inflammation. They also help relax the muscle fibers to alleviate your muscle spasms.
The lavender oil also serves as an anti-inflammatory. The oil also increases circulation to the area, helping to boost the amount of your body's own natural defenses in the area. Inhaling lavender can also help stimulate the nervous system to promote relaxation of your muscles, helping to ease the tightness in your neck.
Once you have everything you need, follow the instructions below to make and use the treatment.
- Bring three cups of water to a boil in the saucepan.
- Add the chamomile tea bags to the boiling water, and remove it from the heat.
- Steep the tea for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour the remaining three cups of water in the tub or pot, add the Epsom salt, and let it dissolve for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tea to the salt water, mixing thoroughly.
- Let the liquid sit for five minutes, then add the lavender oil, stirring well after each drop.
- Submerge the towel into the liquid, leaving it in until all of the liquid is absorbed and the towel is saturated.
- Wring the towel out, then place it on the back of your neck.
- Sit back and relax for 15 minutes, inhaling deeply to take advantage of the lavender oil's aromatic properties.
- If the side of the towel next to your neck becomes cool, refold it so the interior portion that is still warm touches your neck.
- Remove the neck wrap, and let your skin air dry.
Using the above home remedy twice a day can help relieve your neck pain symptoms. However, you start noticing an increase in the frequency of your flare-ups, you may want to talk with your pain management doctor to discuss other treatment options available to you. Contact a business, such as the Southwest Florida Neurosurgical Associates, for more information.